B.Sc-M.Sc Integrated in Biomedical Science
Cell and Molecular Biology
21st century belongs to the Science of life. One shall witness tremendous growth in sectors like Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, Clinical Data Management, Molecular Diagnostics, and Biomedical Industries. Master`s in Biomedical Science shall focus on cellular and molecular approaches by providing an understanding of basic concepts with holistic view to provide a broad thorough and intellectually challenging approach in the areas of Biological Science. The focus will be on training the students in both theory and applications of specialized areas. This course is specially designed for students interested in medical and clinical aspects of Biology. As on other areas of Biology, the cutting edge of research in medicine is primarily focused at molecular level. Looking into the trends in current applications for such programs in research and industry, specializations are offered in Molecular medicine, Drug discovery and design, Reproductive Biomedicine and Human Genetics. This course is thereby tailor made to suite the demands of the ever expanding science of molecular biology and is one of its kinds to be offered in Gujarat.
The Masters Course lays emphasis on the overall development of laboratory skills of a research student coupled with an expansion of his/her knowledge base through specialized inputs for the course. The course work comprises of lectures and practicals along with skill building through technical and research oriented programs. The course is reviewed regularly in consultation with our Academic Advisory Board, which comprises of experts from academia, research institutions and industry from all over India. Thus, the course is tailor made to fulfill the requirements needed to compete with the current developments in scientific research. Along with the permanent faculties, the regular lectures are also conducted by visiting faculties who are experts in their respective fields. Apart from the course work, the Faculty also conducts Guest lectures by eminent academicians and scientists and paper presentations (Journal Club) to ensure learner centric environment. In addition, methods like quiz, discussions, tutorials, Industry visits etc. are also envisaged by the faculty to benefit the students. There is state-of-art infrastructure and advanced laboratories with modern instrumentation needed for pursuing quality research and training.
The B.Sc M.Sc integrated program places special emphasis on development of analytical skills, communication skills, and entrepreneurship. The use of ICT tools is unique to the program. Choice-based electives from different Programs of the University offer opportunity to explore diverse interests in an interdisciplinary manner and enlarge the educational space. Social connect and know-your-community is achieved through a hands-on project KHOJ, wherein students from many majors across the university work collaboratively and apply disciplinary education in an inter-disciplinary manner to solve complex social problems and bring about social innovation. A capstone project grounded in science and its application offers opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in the sciences.
||Skill based courses
||2 Elective Courses-Sem VIII
||2 Elective Courses
- Suited for students interested in Medical and Clinical aspects of Biology
- Study in Life Sciences and subjects allied to Medicine
- Interdisciplinary focus: Bioinformatics, Biostatistics and Biotechnology
- Contemporary curriculum to meet the needs of the Industry (Biotech, Pharma, Clinical data management, Molecular diagnostics)
- Value added education
- Extensive lab based practical modules to facilitate contemporary research in Biomedical Science.
- Journal article presentations (current state of the art research papers).
- Industrial training: Two month (summer training) and six month (live research projects)
- State-of-the-art exposure to: Cell culture lab, Real time PCR, HPLCs etc.
- Holistic development of students (analytical and cognitive skills) with overall personal development.
- Social Involvement Program (KHOJ) for inculcating leadership, community awareness, and social-sensitivity.
- Careers in academia, R&D and Industry.
- Training and placement cell at the university helps to place students for their internships and have a record of achieving 100 percent placements in the already ongoing courses like M.Sc Chemistry.
- Highly qualified faculties, mentors who have a vast experience of more than 40 years of research and academics, industry experts who shall constantly prepare students for their specialized roles in different sectors of industry and research organizations.
- Summer projects and hands on training shall be the focus.
- Guidance for Doctoral studies and competitive exams like CSIR NET, IFS, IAS, UPSC etc shall also be provided as and where needed.
- Special emphasis on regulatory affairs for those aspiring to work in pharmaceuticals.
- Need based expert inputs to allow students to be what they want to be.
- Structure has provision for extra credits for areas of special interest to students.
- State of art infrastructure
- Opportunity to work on ongoing projects and on novel unexplored areas
Candidates who have completed 10+2 in Science stream (All Boards) with minimum 55% are eligible for admission to BSc. Admission Procedure: Eligible candidates are required to appear for an interaction with experts of the School of Liberal Studies and Education.
Hostel: Limited accommodation facilities available for outstation students.