21st century belongs to Life Sciences and is considered as “the fastest growing sector” by socialists, economists and scientific communities across the world. In order to keep pace with the scientific and technological advancements in the recent years, Life Sciences at NUV has specially designed unique and innovative programs so as to meet the increasing demand of skilled taskforce that shall be required for research and innovation in the upcoming future in this ever expanding field of Biology. These programs are outlined with a broad focus on all the key skills needed by a student in both disciplinary and interdisciplinary areas. There are a wide range of specializations that students can opt for ranging from the traditional to the most recent as well as some newly blended areas of focus, developed looking into the need of the future demands of industry and research. Some of these specializations offered under the umbrella of life sciences are Cell and Molecular Biology, Genetics, Molecular medicine, Conservation Biology, Medico Botany to name a few.
The Master’s Course lays emphasis on the overall development of laboratory skills of a research student coupled with an expansion of his/her knowledge base through specialized inputs for the course. The course work comprises of lectures and practicals along with skill building through technical and research-oriented programs. The course is reviewed regularly in consultation with our Academic Advisory Board, which comprises of experts from academia, research institutions and industry from all over India. Thus, the course is tailor made to fulfill the requirements needed to compete with the current developments in scientific research. Along with the permanent faculties, the regular lectures are also conducted by visiting faculties who are experts in their respective fields. Apart from the course work, the Faculty also conducts Guest lectures by eminent academicians and scientists and paper presentations (Journal Club) to ensure learner centric environment. In addition, methods like quiz, discussions, tutorials, Industry visits etc. are also envisaged by the faculty to benefit the students. There is state-of-art infrastructure and advanced laboratories with modern instrumentation needed for pursuing quality research and training.
M.Sc in Life Sciences is a two year post graduate degree program. This course offers four different specializations namely, Plant Sciences, Animal Sciences, Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology. First year shall provide a broad base into aspects associated with the fundamental learning needed for Life Sciences, while the second year shall focus on specializations opted by the students with special electives for each of the given specializations. Fourth semester shall be completely dedicated towards dissertation thesis in the area of specialization elective as opted earlier. Industry and academia partnership shall ensure good quality research for students in this semester. Additionally, graduates shall be exposed to various interdisciplinary and skill enhancing courses during the first three semesters. Students shall be empowered for independent thinking and research as well as be capable of playing leading roles in industry. There shall be specialized inputs to encourage those interested to start their own start ups as is the philosophy of the University ‘ to be what you want to be ‘
- Prepares student simultaneously for employment and graduate education in science
- Time Saving – students are eligible for Ph.D. through CSIR – NET after four-year BS Degree.
- Industry Linkage – Strong links with Business and Industry to ensure practical education and respond to emerging industry requirements. Inter-disciplinary choice of courses Experiential Learning- A winning balance of theory and practical experiences for better understanding
- One complete year dedicated to research project for students pursuing BS degree
|Sem#||Core Courses||ID Courses||Skill based courses||Practical||Credits|
|II||Four core +One Elective for Specialization||One||One||Two||25|
|III||Four specialization courses + One Elective for specialization||One||One||Two||25|
|IV||Two seminar courses||Dissertation||25|
- LS: Plant Sciences shall offer Special Electives in Herbal Medicine, Phytochemistry, Environmental Biology, Medico Botany and Applied Botany to meet the demand for the need of growing expertise in these areas.
- LS:Animal Sciences shall offer Special Electives in Reproductive Physiology, Toxicology, Conservation Biology, Entomology and Marine Biology
- LS: Biochemistry shall offer Special Electives in Nutritional Biochemistry, Neurochemistry, clinical Biochemistry, Biomedical Genomics and Plant Biochemistry
- LS: Cell and Molecular Biology shall offer Special Electives Reproductive Biomedicine, Drug designing and discovery, Molecular Medicine and Human Genetics
- Contemporary curriculum to meet the needs of the Industry (Biotech, Pharma, Clinical data management, Molecular diagnostics)
- Students shall be actively involved in a full semester research and shall be taking up aspects that shall cut through some very important aspects of interdependences among the various sub disciplines of Biology.
- Careers in academia, R&D and Industry.
- Training and placement cell at the university helps to place students for their internships and have a record of achieving 100 percent placements in the already ongoing courses like M.Sc Chemistry.
- Highly qualified faculties, mentors who have a vast experience of more than 40 years of research and academics, industry experts who shall constantly prepare students for their specialized roles in different sectors of industry and research organizations.
- Summer projects and hands on training shall be the focus.
- Guidance for Doctoral studies and competitive exams like CSIR NET, IFS, IAS, UPSC etc shall also be provided as and where needed.
- Special emphasis on regulatory affairs for those aspiring to work in pharmaceuticals.
- Need based expert inputs to allow students to be what they want to be.
- Structure has provision for extra credits for areas of special interest to students.
- State of art infrastructure.
- Opportunity to work on ongoing projects and on novel unexplored areas.
Eligible candidates shall be called based on merit followed by interview with the experts.
- Candidates who have completed their B.Sc. degree from any reputed college or university in any of the following subjects with minimum 50% aggregate marks: Botany, biochemistry, biotechnology, life science, microbiology and zoology and Biological Sciences. Students with Chemistry background may apply for Biochemistry specialization.
- The merit list will be based on the aggregate marks obtained in major and minor subjects as in the three year program.