Dr. Poonam Kumar completed her PhD from The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda. Her thesis is titled “Synthesis and Characterization of new oxygen and nitrogen heterocyclic compounds with its biological and growth promoting properties”.
She completed her Masters and Bachelors in Science from the same University.
She joined Navrachana University in June 2011
Scholarship and Accomplishments
Dr. K. Poonam. Kumar is a proficient researcher. Kumar’s research interests are pharmaceutical and synthetic organic chemistry, with a special focus on synthesis of heteocyclic compounds and their different biological applications. She is particularly interested in cost effective synthesis of cyclic aromatic rings having heteroatoms from simple precursors which can be used further for treatment of various diseases. Dr. Kumar developed different novel methods for many drug molecules which were part of her Doctoral research.
Dr. Kumar has received many awards during her Master’s and Doctoral studies such as Research Fellowship, under “Maharaja Sayajirao III Alembic Chemicals Works Ltd., Research Fellowship of University Grants Commission, under “Research Fellowship in Science for Meritorious Students”, Award by Alumni Association of Chemistry Department for being a meritorious student of the department, Dr. M. S. Patel prize, by The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda for securing highest marks at undergraduate level and Felicitated by Air Force Wives Welfare Association (AFWWA), Uttarlai, Rajasthan, for being city topper in SSC Board Examinations etc.
Dr. Kumar has a teaching experience of more than 8 years wherein she has served as faculty in the Department of Chemistry, MSU and then Navrachana University. She teaches Organic Chemistry to science students at M.Sc. and B.Sc. Program. She exposes students to science fundamentals and has chosen teaching to as a way to conduct research in education. She is greatly enthused by the teaching-learning process and is highly inspired by work of students of Navrachana University. She has guided undergraduate science students for their research work. Dr. Kumar has been one of the team members for designing the entire structure including syllabus of B.Sc. and M.Sc. Chemistry Programs at Navrachana University.
Dr. Kumar has published more than 10 publications after joining Navrachana University, with most of them being published in Journals with good impact factor and of International repute. Some of the major publications are published in journals like Journal of Chemical Sciences, Organic Communications, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences etc. In addition to this, she has presented her research work at many International Forums like 19th International Conference on Organic Synthesis (ICOS19) in conjunction with the 24th Royal Australian Chemical Institute Organic Conference (RACIOrganic24), 2012, Melbourne, Australia, International Symposium on Trends in Drug Discovery and Development, January 2010, University of Delhi, New Delhi, International Science Congress Association, 2011.
Most Notable Publications
- Synthesis and evaluation of some bioactive compounds having oxygen and nitrogen heteroatom. P Yadav, NV Purohit, Journal of Chemical Sciences 125 (1), 165-173.
- Synthesis of new biologically active triazolo, tetrazolo and coumarinoyl derivatives of isocoumarins. P Koppula, N Purohit, Organic Communications 6 (4), 148-161.
- Bis-(1H-2-benzopyran-1-one) derivatives: Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation.
- P Koppula, N Purohit, Journal of Chemical Sciences 125 (6), 1535-1542.
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of some novel 3, 4-disubstituted isocoumarins.
- P Yadav, NV Purohit, Indian journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 73(2), 171.
- “Synthesis and Biological Studies of some Novel Isocoumarin Derivatives” at 19th International Conference on Organic Synthesis (ICOS19) in conjunction with the 24th Royal Australian Chemical Institute Organic Conference (RACIOrganic24), July 1-6, 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- “A convenient synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of some novel 3-subs., 3,4-disubs., nitro derivatives, amino carbonyl and aminyl benzoyl isocoumains”, at International Symposium on Trends in Drug Discovery and Development, January 2010, University of Delhi, New Delhi.
- “Synthesis of novel isocoumarin derivatives and evaluation of their biological efficacy”, at International Science Congress Association, 24th – 25th December 2011, Indore.