Prof Percy completed his Masters of Science in Urban Design from Pratt Institute, USA. His thesis was titled “Redevelopment of Battery Park City in New York”. He did his Bachelors in Architecture from The Maharaja Sayaji Rao University of Baroda.
He joined Navrachana University in July, 2011 as a Professor.
Scholarship and Accomplishments
Prof. Percy Adil Pithawala has been involved in Architectural Design education for the past 20 years.
Prof. Pithawala teaches Basic Design fundamentals at foundation year level. He also undertakes Histories/theories classes at all levels. He conducts a studio in semester six based on thought processes of Postmodern, Minimalism and Deconstruction. He is currently guiding thesis students in Architecture and Interior Design. Prof. Pithawala has been a past recipient of Best Teacher Award at Navrachana University.
Prof. Pithawala has a keen interest in exploring interdisciplinary linkages between the fields of Architecture and Fine Arts (specifically constructivist and Suprematist periods). He also offers an elective in Critical Appreciation of Contemporary Arts. He has been exhibiting his art works periodically at various venues in India and Abroad. He has also participated in several National and International Design competitions.
Prof. Pithawala has published over 10 articles in Indian Architect and Builder Magazine and also lectured in over 10 conferences and seminars. He also participates as a Jury Critic at several institutions.
- Constructions – Artworks & Installations, RBS Gallery. Feb. 2015, Studio- X, Mumbai. Dec. 2012, Raga Numeric. Jan. 2011, Hutheesingh Centre. Ahmedabad. Feb. 2010
- Art for the new millennium – Gallery specific installations, Artists Centre. Mumbai. Jan. 2000
- Improvisation – Constructivist inspired Artworks, Fine Arts Gallery. M.S. University. Aug. 1998
- Untitled Works – Interactive Installations, Fine Arts Gallery. M.S. University,Baroda March 1997
- Creative and the Subconscious – Conceptual Artworks, Cooper Union. New York City. Nov. 1992
- Battery Park City- Re imagined, World Financial centre Gallery. New York City. Oct. 1992
Competitions (List not exhaustive)
- Master Plan for Digital India. Bangalore. June 2000 * Awarded First Prize
- The Mandu Follies, Osaka Trienale , Japan . Dec. 2000
- C. I .I. Green Centre, Hyderabad. May 1999. * Awarded First Prize
- C. I. I. Centre of Excellence, Bangalore. June 1997. * Awarded First Prize
- Master Plan for Colvale, Goa. June 1996
- Governor‘s Island Master Plan, New York. March 1996 * Honorary Mention
- Ruins of the Future, Adelaide, Australia Dec. 1995 * Honorary Mention
- Indian Institute of Architects Headquarters, New Mumbai. Sept. 1995 * Awarded Third Prize
- Displacing future of Architecture in a virtual Void, Paithrukam Conference. Dec. 2004
- Sustainable approach to adaptive reuse, ICHH Conference, Mumbai. Feb. 2003
- Humane Habitat in second modernity, ICHH Conference, Mumbai. Feb. 2002
- Critique of cultural artifact in Indian cities, Paithrukam Conference. Oct. 2001
- Unbuildable, Unbelievable, Ridiculous and Sublime, IA & B Conference. Sept. 2001
- Innovative Architectural Design shaping Humane Habitats, ICHH Conference. Feb. 2001
- Map, Wall, and the Dream, Indian Architect & Builder Journal, July .2009
- Library of waters — Homage to shrinking glaciers in Iceland by Roni Horn, Indian Architect & Builder Journal,Dec.2008
- Emergence of the Emergence -a critical evaluation of the coursework at Architectural association in London, Indian Architect & Builder Journal, Nov.2008
- Dancing dinosaurus and voyeuristic cybernauts - Installations by Scoffidio & Diller, Indian Architect & Builder magazine, August.2008
- Written Word and Architecture, Indian Architect & Builder Journal. Dec. 2006
- Inspirations from a Kufic Suprematist, Indian Architect & Builder Journal. Sept. 2006
- Recombinant Realities in Architectural Futures, Indian Architect & Builder Journal. Feb. 2005
- Click, Click it good and Architecture will happen, Indian Architect & Builder Journal, Jan. 2005
- Interrelationships in Art and Architecture, in –process Pratt Institute, New York,Sept.1992