Ms. Sonia is a Lecturer in School of Liberal studied and Education (SLSE), Navrachna University, Vadodara, engaging and sanitizing undergraduate and post graduate students in the field of ecology, environmental biology and sustainable developments. She has a seven years research experience in climate change, geo-spatial modeling, biodiversity and vulnerability assessment and socio-economic livelihood studies, as Research Associate (RA) in Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) along with two years experience in EIA studies at Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute (CIFRI). Her area of interest includes studying the dynamism of climate change under the current scenario at regional and nation level, evaluating its environmental impacts and developing sustainable management and policies there by increasing the resilience capacity.
PhD - Ms Sonia have submitted her thesis in Bioscience department of Mangalore University, Karnataka, her thesis entitles “Ecology and Diversity of Zoanthids in the Intertidal zone of Gujarat, India”.
M Sc (Zoology): The Maharaja Sayjirao University of Baroda, 2009
B.Sc. ( Zoology): The Maharaja Sayjirao University of Baroda, 2007
Areas of Interest
Climate Change, Environmental anomalies, Geo spatial modelling and Ecosystem Management Vulnerability assessment, adaptation, mitigation and sustainable development.
Awards and Recognitions
1.Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) for lectureship.
2.Awarded with Netherlands Fellowship Programmes (NFP) fellowship funded by the Dutch Ministry to attend short course on “Climate change adaptation in agriculture & natural resource management” organized by Centre for Development Innovation (CDI), Wageningen University, from 25th January to 5th February 2016.
3.Selected for Research Associate (RA) Fellowship, by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Government of India (GOI), under the network project entitled “National Innovations on Climate Resilient Agriculture” from 2011 to 2017.
4.Selected for Junior Research Fellow (JRF) fellowship at Central Institute of Fisheries education ICAR, GOI, under the project “Studies on the likely impact of the proposed Kalpasar project on ecology, fishery and socio-economic aspects of the coastal community of Gulf of Khambhat” from August 2011 to November 2011.
5.Selected for Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) fellowship at Central Inland fisheries Research Institute (CIFR)< ICAR, GOI, under the project “Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of Emerging Sardar Sarovar Reservoir (SSR) from Conservational and Hydrobiological perspectives” from 2009 to 2011.
Members of Professional/ Technical Committees
Member of IUCN –SSC specialist group
Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, ISSN: 2320-0227
Key note Lectures Delivered
1.Delivered lectures as key resource person and external expert on “Climate change and Fisheries” for senior level and junior level mangers training programme in “Training expedition on sustainable management of marine fisheries for conserving coastal and marine resource”, organized by GIZ, WII and CMFRI .
2.Delivered lectures as key resource person and external expert on “Issues and threats in marine fisheries” for senior level and junior level mangers training programme in “Training expedition on sustainable management of marine fisheries for conserving coastal and marine resource”, organized by GIZ, WII and CMFRI .
3.Delivered lecture on “Climate change and Gujarat Fisheries” as key resource person, at Navabunder, during Fish farmers awareness week, organised by CMFRI- Veraval.
- International short course on “Climate change adaptation in agriculture & natural resource management” organized by Centre for Development Innovation (CDI), Wageningen University, and The Netherlands, sponsored by Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP) from 25th Jan- 05 February 2016, at Kampala, Uganda.
- International summer and Winter Term (ISWT) on “Spatial Ecology and Remote sensing”, at IIT, Khargpur, India from 15 Dec. to 27 Dec 2014.
National Courses ( Selected)
- Attended and participated in three days workshop on “Philosophy, Methods and Ethics in science” at CMFRI-Veraval from 3rd to 5th November 2015.
- Underwent two-week short course on “Remote sensing and GIS” at NATMO, Kolkata, India from 13th 24 July 2015
- Two days training cum workshop on use of GIS software for GIS based resource mapping of shellfishes and finfishes along Indian Coast, from 10th- 11th April 2014 Veraval regional centre, CMFRI, India.
- Accomplished a Project on “A study on assessing the role of N- acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine and p-Chlorophenyl alanine on regenerative performance of caudal fin of Poecilia latepinna” as a part of M.Sc. Final.
List of Publication
- Sonia Kumari, Zacharia PU, Sreenath KR, Kripa V and Grinson George (2017) First record of Zoanthus gigantus Reimer and Tsukahara, 2006 (Anthozoa, Zoantharia) from Indian waters, South Asia, Checklist ( Accepted Proof)
- Sonia Kumari, Zacharia PU, Sreenath KR, Kripa V and Grinson George (2017): GIS based mapping of zoanthids along Saurashtra coast, Gujarat, India. JMBA, India (Accepted Proof)
- Koya K Mohammed, Gyanranjan Dash , Sonia Kumari, Sreenath K.R , N.P Makwana , Swatipriyanka Sen Dash , Ambrose T.V. , Shyam, Salim Shyam , Kripa V and P. U. Zacharia, (2017) Vulnerability of Coastal Fisher Households to Climate Change: A Case Study from Gujarat, India. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 17. DOI: 193-203, 10.4194/1303-2712-v17_1_21
- Sonia Kumari, P.U. Zacharia, V. Kripa, K.R. Sreenath and Grinson George. Distribution pattern and community structure of zoanthids (Zoantharia) along the coast of Saurashtra, Gujarat, India. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, available on CJO2015. doi:10.1017/S0025315415001885.
- Sonia Kumari, Thadani Jaymesh, Sreenath KR and Koya KM (2014) Record of Striped paper bubble shell, Hydatina physis (Linnaeus, 1758), from Indian waters. Marine biodiversity Records, 8
Technical Papers ( Selected)
- Zonal Resource person in “Relative vulnerability assessment of Indian marine fishes to climate change using impact and adaptation attributes” ISSN 0972-2351 CMFRI-NICRA Publication No.5 CMFRI Special Publication No.125
- Sreenath K.R. Koya M., G. Dash, Swati Priyanaka Sen Dash., V.V. Kumar., Pradeep S., Shiju P., Kumari S., and Makawna N.P. (2014): Arthron steelatus (Anonymous, 1978) recorded from Gujarat, northwest coast of India., Mar. Fish. Infor. Serv., T and E Service No.220