IUCN Sloth Bear Expert Team
Arzoo is a member of IUCN SSC Sloth Bear Expert Team and her research work on bears is recognized by Human -Bear Conﬂict Mitigation Network (USA) and She has been awarded by the Research and Conservation Grants from IBA (International Association for Bear Research and Management), USA to study human bear interactions. For the past four years, she has been working in a sloth bear’s habitat located in the Northern region of Gujarat state (India). She has been employing an integrated approach to ﬁnd ways to reduce human-bear conﬂict in the area. Her research work includes the application of GIS tools along with ﬁeld surveys to identify and develop sustainable measures of managing the habitat and reducing the interaction of sloth bears with humans. Her work focuses on parameters driving sloth bears out of their habitat into the human-dominated areas especially water scarcity. She has been a part of ISRO (SAC) respond project to identify ecological corridors between all the protected areas for sloth bears in Gujarat state (India).
- Malik , Dharaiya N., Proctor M (2018). Use of Geospatial Techniques to target water sources aimed at alleviating conﬂicts with people. International Bear News, 27(3): 44-46
- Malik , Dharaiya N., Espín S. (2017). Is current information on organochlorine exposure is suﬃcient to conserve birds in India. Ecotoxicology, 27(8):1137-1149
- Malik, , Chaudhari, M., Dharaiya, N.(2020). Hair structure as a key for species identiﬁcation of some mammals found in Gujarat state, India. Proceedings of Zoological Society (Springer) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12595- 021-00388-0
- Sharp , Dharaiya N., Pigeon K., Malik A., Rabha N., and Garshelis D. (2020) Attempts to ﬁnd three bear species in Meghalaya, India. International Bear News, 29(1): 29-31
- Dharaiya, , Garshelis, D., Sharp, T., Malik, A., Patel, N. and Rabha, N.(2017). Kaziranga National Park- plenty of sloth bears, but are there other bear species? International Bear News, 26 (2): 15-17
Awards and Recognition
- Research grant, IBA, USA (2018)
- Travel Grant, IBA, USA (2018)
- Travel Grant, Katie Adamson Conservation Fund (2018)
- Research Grant, IBA, USA (2017)
- Research Grant, Ruﬀords Small Grants Foundation, UK (2016)
- Travel Grant, IBA, USA (2017)
- Fellowship, NCSTC, Department of Science & Technology, of India (2017)
- Delivered oral presentation on “Monitoring sloth bear movement around water sources to assess the eﬀectiveness of water management in sloth bear habitat” in 27th International Conference on Bear Research and Management, Virtual Conference | September 14-16 & 21-23, 2021
- Participated in an International Workshop on “Monitoring of Asian Bears in human dominated landscape of South East Asia” organised by Bear Specialist Group and Free the bears organisation at Ljubljana, Slovenia (18th September 2018).
- Presented a poster entitled “Habitat Suitability and corridor analysis for sloth bear in Gujarat using Remote sensing and Ecological Modelling” in 26th International Association for Bear Research & Management at Ljubljana, Slovenia (16-21 September, 2018).
- Delivered oral presentation on “Understanding sloth bear attacks in Gujarat for formulating future conservation strategies” in 5th International Human Bear Conﬂict Workshop at Gatlinburg, Tennessee (25-29 March, 2018).
- Participated in “5th International Human-Bear Conﬂict Workshop” organized by Appalachian Bear Rescue at Gatlinburg, Tennessee (25-29 March, 2018).
- Delivered oral presentation on “Use of Geo-Spatial techniques to target water sources for sloth bears aimed at alleviating conﬂicts with people” in 25th International Association for Bear Research & Management at Quito, Ecuador (12-17 November,2017)
- Participated in International Workshop on Human Bear Conﬂict organized by IUCN Bear Specialist Group at Quito, Ecuador (12th November 2017).
- Participated in National Workshop on Geo-spatial techniques in Ecological Research at HNG University, Patan (July 10-15, 2017)
- Participated in National Training Programme on “Conducting Research in Biodiversity and Wildlife” at Department of Zoology, University of Lucknow, May 25-31,
- Presented a poster entitled “Organochlorine Pesticide Residue in soil of diﬀerent wetlands of Western India” in National Seminar at DRC, Zoological Survey of India, March 11-12, 2016, Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- Attended National Seminar on Faunal Diversity of Desert Ecosystem, DRC, ZSI, 11-12 March, 2016 Jodhpur Rajasthan and presented poster on Organochlorine Pesticide residues in soil of diﬀerent wetlands of Western