Professional Work Experience
Having executed numerous projects, Ar. Shalini Amin has been associated with the ﬁeld of Architecture and Interior Design for the past 2O years.
- Associate Architect with Rachna Niket Architects,
- Dealt with and was actively involved in designing, execution, site visits for a number of Residential, Industrial Projects while associated with the ﬁrm.
- Self-Employed Architectural/ Design Consultant. Design and Consultation for Navrachana University for in- house projects.
- Navrachana University old building refurbishment (Painting Project along with Prof.Gurdev Singh).
- School of Environmental Design and Architecture (SEDA) Material
- Placement Cell Design &
- Admission room Design and
- Design & Interiors of Cabin space and Conference room – 2nd ﬂoor old building NUV
- Provost Oﬃce Design & Interiors – NUV
- SEDA Conference Room Interiors – NUV
- SEDA Conference Room Interiors – NUV
- NUV Auditorium
- SEDA Library – First ﬂoor, SEDA Building
- Makers laboratory design (Q Lab)
- Refurbishment and design of Registrar oﬃce.
- Design and interior of marketing oﬃce along with
- Team Design for Social Distancing Strategies for COVID Free NUV Campus
- Design space for Examination
Nature of Projects Handled
- Residential Projects
- Industrial Projects
- Corporate Oﬃce Interiors
- Adaptive re-use
Academic Work Experiences
- 1996 Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara: Visiting Faculty
- 1997 Jury Critic – IED, Vallabh Vidyanagar, School of Interior design, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- 2OO5 Competition Judge – Various competitions for Primary School Nalanda International School, Vadodara.
- 2OO6 National Judge – National Award in the ﬁeld of Education by Air India, 2O11 – 2O16 Visiting Faculty – SEDA (School of Environmental Design & Architecture), Navrachana University, Vadodara.
- 2O16 – Present: Assistant Professor, Program Chair – Design at SEDA.
- Presently the Chairperson for Bachelor of Design Program, SEDA, Shalini has been known for being the backbone of the design program.
- She is known for an active involvement in the day-to-day academic lives of the students across the
- Basic Design studio for students of Architecture and Interior
- Residential Studio for students of Design.
- Adaptive Re-Use studio for students of Design.
- Retail Studio for students of Design.
- Professional practice for students of Architecture and Interior
- Pre-thesis for students of Interior
- Entrepreneurship for students of Architecture and Interior
- Thesis guide to students of Design.
Hands – On Workshops
Ar. Shalini Amin has curated hands- on workshops involving practical implementation of techniques on various materials, in addition to theoretical knowledge.
- Bamboo Workshop (2O18 – 2O19 – Autumn Semester): For students of 2nd, 3rd & 4th Year Design Program. Bamboo workshop – intense one week bamboo workshop conducted on the campus to understand the properties of bamboo in industry, exploring through furniture making in bamboo & exploring with hands on weaving products in bamboo.
- Wood Turning & Lacquer Workshop (2O18 – 2O19 – Spring Semester): For students of 2nd & 3rd Year Design Program. Wood turning & lacquer workshop – (Kharadi kaam) – Constructed a traditional lathe in the campus and conducted an intense week long workshop to understand and explore the art of wood turning and lacquer by crafts people from Dholka.
- Furniture Workshop (2O19 – 2O2O – Autumn Semester): Workshop for students of 3rd and 4th year for Design Program. Furniture workshop – an intense week long furniture workshop conducted by Dhruvkant Amin, Founder, Tectona Grandis Furniture, Ahmedabad – for students to create and understand the craft of creating posture speciﬁc and site speciﬁc furniture from wood and other materials.
- Metal Workshop (2O19- 2O2O – Autumn Semester): For students of 2nd, 3rd and 4th year Design Program. Metal workshop – Intense week long workshop to understand the properties of Metal through hands on work with the material to make an installation , making diﬀerent objects using the scrap available from shukarwari bazaar and creating sound installations and also creating furnitutre pieces through the technique of metal folding by hand.
- Colour and Fabric Workshop (2O19 – 2O2O – Autumn Semester): For students of 2nd Year B . Design Program. Study of Color & fabric workshop – An intense week long workshop conducted by Mala Sinha, Founder, Bodhi – to help students in understanding the colour pallette through various exercises from nature and nurturing the students to the works of famous painter Joseph Albers. The workshop had a beautiful exercise to understand colour and patterns through weaving the threads in creating a The workshop culminated with a simple chair being painted and transformed into a piece of art by 47 students.
- Stone Workshop (2O19 – 2O2O – Spring Semester): For students of 2nd & Year Design Program. Stone workshop – an intense workshop conducted by master crafts people from stone art, Ahemdabad to explore stone cutting, sculpting techniques to create installations, sculptures and artefacts for the campus.
- Furniture Workshop (2O19 – 2O2O – Spring Semester): Workshop for students of 2nd & 3rd year for Design Program. Intense week-long workshop conducted by Manish Maheshwari, Founder, Site Art Space Studio, Vadodara – to understand the traditional joineries of old antique pieces found from scrap yards, shukawari bazaar etc. and readapting it to making a piece of furniture, light installation, etc.
- Shibori stitch resistant tye & Dye Workshop – (2O2O – 2O21 – Autumn Semester): For students of 2nd, 3rd & 4th Year Design Program. A three-day workshop understanding fabric as a material for interiors integrating the shibori stitch tie and dye technique, conducted by Sanjana S. Ambekar, co-founder of S.S. Design Studio and Assistant professor at SEDA
- Furniture workshop – (2O2O – 2O21 Autumn Semester): For Students of 2nd, 3rd & 4th Year Design Program. A three-day workshop looking at the waste material as a medium to build furniture, conducted by Sachin Ambekar, Co-founder of S. S. Design Studio. The workshop called for adaptive re-use of salvaged material for the making of furniture for residential as well as public use.
- Clay Workshop (2O2O – 2O21 – Spring Semester): For students of 2nd & 3rd Year Design Program. Intense week long workshop conducted by Vishnu Kolleri, Member of Clay Club, Ahemdabad. Students were made to understand the properties of clay and how it can be handled through various thought provoking techniques whereby student’s designed and made abstract installations. They also learnt the process of ﬁring their work in a traditional kiln.
- Trunk Show (2O19 – 2O2O): On Campus with more than 5OO Showcasing the works of students in and around the campus of the university, the trunk show had visitors coming from all the paths of design ﬁelds to see and interact with the B. Design students and the mentors. The beauty of the trunk show was the student’s works were also put on sale.
Passionate about heritage, Ar. Shalini has pursued this passion into research and spreading awareness for various heritage structures through her adaptive re-use studio and heading research with students.
Currently, she is leading the research into the Narrow Gauge Railway of Vadodara through the Heritage Cell at SEDA, Navrachana.
Scholarship & Accomplishments
She has set up the SEDA material library showcasing extensive materials for interiors, providing enhancement of material knowledge in students. This lab not only helps in giving students an idea of the variety of materials available in the market, but also teaches the basic know how of the material itself.
Other Works & Aﬃliations
- 1996 Member- Council of Architects (CA/97/21922)
- 1997 Member – Indian Institute of Architects
- 1998 Life Member – Indian Institute of Interior Designers (IIID) Vadodara
- She is a permanent member of KAA (Kalabhavan Architect’s Alumni).
- Furthermore, she has been anchoring presentations and seminars for IIID, Vadodara Chapter and has also anchored an International Architect’s seminar and presentation sponsored by Century Ply in
- 2OO4 – Master of ceremony for Air India Deepak Memorial Football Tournament,
- 2OO4 – Master of Ceremony for Presentation of David Lewis, Director of Arup – IIID Event, Vadodara
- 2OO6 – Master of Ceremony for a presentation ‘My Name Is Shahrukh’ by Ar. Shahrukh Mistry, a presentation based on the theme – to spread SMILE (Stimulate, Meaningful, Idealize, Love and Educate), IIID Event, Vadodara
- 2OO8 – Anchored & Moderated IIID HNG Forum, Presentations by Sandeep Khosla, Ar. Soumitro Ghosh, Ar. Shantanu Poredi, Ar. Arjun Mallik, Ar. Manisha Agarwal & Ar. Kapil Gupta.
- 2OO9 – Anchored and Moderated IIID Event – IDEA (Interior Design Enhancing Architecture) Presentations by Sonal Sancheti, Ar. Bobby Mukherjee, Ar. Dean D’Cruz, Ar. Kamal Mallik & Ar. Karan Grover,
- 2O11- Master of Ceremony for Aces of Space Awards by Architect & Interiors India Magazine at Taj Mahal Palace Hotel,
- 2O13 – Anchored ‘IIID Baroda Masters’ Inaugural lecture by Karan Grover at Sir Sayajirao Nagar Gruh, Vadodara